You can’t underestimate the importance of a hot water system in your home. You can use it for showers, washing dishes and washing clothes. Most of the time, we take it for granted until we notice that the water suddenly turns into cold or it suddenly stopped working. We only appreciate the hot water system when it is not operating the way it should.
When hot water systems are experiencing some issue, most people have a hard figuring out whether to call for a job. You might be thinking about what the problem could be. Is it with the waterline, electrical line or the equipment itself? Do you need an electrician or do you need a plumber? It can be frustrating when you have called a plumber instead of an electrician or the other way around.
Calling for the wrong person is both a waste of time and money. It’s also inconvenient for you and the person you called. So what is the best solution?
The answer is it depends upon the issue. You should first determine the problems at hand. Before calling a professional, you can check the system yourself to see if it’s just a minor problem and only requires an easy fix which you can do yourself.
- Did the circuit breaker trip? If it did, try to turn it back on (only if it’s safe to do so) and observe if it remains on. If it remains on for some time, then your hot water system will be up and running again.
- If the circuit breaker is ok, then check the pressure relief valve of the hot water system. Gently lift the temperature and pressure lever, make sure not to lift it all the way to the top cause if you do, the water will drain. Sometimes, water stops flowing because the heater is just a little low. Keep the valve up until you see that the water is flowing into the overflow pipe again.
So you have done the above tasks, but nothing seems to be working. What to do now?
Here are some specific problems for water systems that will require you to call an electrician.
- If the circuit breaker has tripped and it won’t turn back on or won’t stay on. This problem indicated that it’s an electrical issue.
- The water system is fully functioning, but the water that it releases is warm instead of hot. This is a sign of thermostat issue
- If the fuse of the hot water heater has blown
- If there is a loose wire in the water heater unit
Electrical issues in the hot water system can be hard to resolve, that is why you need a certified electrician to fix these type of problems. If you think that there are electrical components in the hot water system that are not working, then call an electrician.
On the other hand, here some problems that you need to call a plumber.
- If you see water leaking on the base of your hot water system. Remember that hot water should be supplied inside your house. If you see water outside, then it is likely that there is leaking in the plumbing lines.
- There is no water flowing from the water pipe
- Water is running out of the pressure valve. Even if you lift the valve to the top, the water won’t still drain
- The water tank is rusty. If you see rust outside your tank, then chances are the inner tank has also rusted out. This means replacing the system is a necessity. Rust can also be present in the water due to rusty pipelines.
- The amount of water coming out from the tap is less
- If your hot water system is more than years old. Hot water system life span is put at 8 – 10 years old. If your system is over this age, then it won’t be working as efficiently as before.
If you are experiencing these problems, then it is recommended that you call your local plumber. Your plumber can help you better about repairing or replacing your hot water system. If you are looking for a certified plumber, then click here. Professionals from Sydney Plumbers are always happy to help.
Hope this article helps you determine hot water system problems better. Note that there are other issues you may encounter with your hot water system that is not listed above. Call your trusted expert if you have questions about your hot water system and discuss what you need and ask for some guidance. Just make sure that you hire experienced professionals so your issues can be adequately resolved. It’s essential to keep your hot water system up and to run as soon as possible to avoid stress and live a comfortable life.